GT Avalanche Review
This bike is for the nature-loving souls, who are looking for the best money-can-buy 27.5/29er without breaking their wallet. It’s packed with solid components, more than one can expect form a bike that costs under a thousand dollars. It’s a true workhorse.
RATING: Fast, powerful, and cheap
BEST FOR: Trail beginners
FEATURES: 6061 T6 Aluminium frame, SR Suntour 100 mm suspension fork, Shimano Alivio/Altus components, hydraulic disc brakes…
- Frame: 6061 T6 Aluminium frame, triple triangle with floating seat stays, internal cable routing, stealth dropper post routing, boost 141 forged drop-outs with disc brake mounts, zero stack tapered 1 1/8″- 1.5″ head tube, 27.5/29″ wheels
- Fork: SR Suntour XCT-DS, 100mm, hydraulic lockout, coil
- Tires: WTB Ranger Comp, 27.5/29×2.25″, DNA compound
- Rims: WTB SX19, 32h
- Crankset:All Terra, 36/22T
- Front Derailleur: MicroShift direct mount
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
- Cassette:Shimano HG200, 11-36T
- Shifters: Shimano Altus
- Brakes: Tektro M275 hydraulic disc, 160/160mm rotors
- Saddle: All Terra MTB
- Pedals: Platform
- Number of gears: 18
- Gender: Unisex
XS – 5’0″ – 5’3″
S – 5’3″ – 5’7″
M – 5’7″ – 5’10”
L – 5’10” – 6’2″
XL – 6’2″ – 6’5″
Wiggle – MSRP $1,050
- 100 mm suspension fork with hydraulic lockout
- Quality Shimano components
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Both 27.5 and 29" wheels available
- Weak Microshift front derailleur
- On the heavier side
You are looking at the flagship of the affordable GT Bicycles. Founded in California in 1972, the Bicycle brand GT has been around for more than four decades by now. Over the years they have produced very solid bikes, designed to compete and be enjoyed off-road.
GT Bicycles are clearly noticed by their “Triple Triangle” hardtail frame design – which is claimed to reduce the vibration from the rear wheel.
But, It was the model Avalanche, that stuck around from the first triple triangle model MTBs and it was clearly the legendary forerunner for the GT bikes.
Whenever you saw the iconic GT frame somewhere on the road, you most probably saw the GT Avalanche. This model is designed to go off-road, so it sure will meet your needs and top the expectations.
This bike is for the trail-loving souls, who are looking for the best money-can-buy 29er without breaking their wallet. It’s packed with solid components, that under a thousand dollar bike can have at most. It’s a true workhorse.
This model comes in one unique and memorable color scheme: gentle light blue with a touch of orange. Frame sizes are the usual X Small, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large.
The good news is that the latest 2020 model with both 27.5 and 29-inch wheels and 100mm travel SR Suntour XCT-DS fork is the most affordable model to get from the Avalanche model series.
This GT Avalanche is something of a MUST to enjoy cross country rides. It is designed for all sorts of roads so it performs well both on climbs and descents, rough and smooth trails – you name it!
The 2 x 9 drivetrain will give you a wide variety of gears to meet all your needs when using this bike to compete, or for everyday commuting.
Hydraulic Lockout on forks lets you lock the front suspension when you are mainly riding in paved areas and need to save energy.
As this bike is designed for Cross Country use, where braking is as important as pedaling – the braking power needs to be trustworthy.
Here you will be taken care by the Tektro Hydraulic disc brakes on both front and rear wheels.
The discs are 160mm in diameter, so be careful with the front one, alright?
This bike has a stiff and solid feel to it, that will most certainly conquer the trails, and the triple-triangle design will ease off the edgy bumps that will affect your comfort on many hardtail bikes.
You’ll find the widely used “All Terra” badge on most of the components, Including the saddle, wheelset, stem, seat post, crankset, and tires.
The Avalanche is like the name describes – it beholds a massive power. Just be fit enough to maximize its usage!
- Frame – 6061 T6 Aluminium frame
- Wheels – 27.5″ and 29” – Depending on the frame size
- Brakes – Tektro M275 hydraulic disc, 160/160mm rotors
- Gears – 2 x 9 drivetrain – all you need to meet the terrain
- Fork – SR Suntour XCT-DS, 100mm, hydraulic lockout, coil
Get this bike! The new GT Avalanche is a heck of a deal when considering all the specs that are provided up here.
When you are dreaming of cruising down those Cross Country tracks with a decent bike, I can assure you the bike in your dreams was the latest Avalanche.